ATTENTION: The State Bar of Texas urges lawyers to evaluate contingency plans. For client protection and emergency preparedness, you may use this portal to designate one or more custodian-attorneys.
Go to State Bar Custodial Designation Portal →
Succession PlanningContinuity, client protection, and emergency preparedness.
The arc of a lawyer’s law practice eventually comes to end. Ideally, the lawyer is ready and transition goes according to plan; readiness also fosters order in the event of an emergency. Our resources can help.
Succession planning fosters order and client protection. For client protection and emergency preparedness, the State Bar urges lawyers to make advance designations of custodian attorneys. The custodian attorney assists in closing the lawyer’s law practice, in the event the need arises under Tex. Rules Disciplinary P. R. 13.01-13.03.
Browse LPM Topic Pages
State Bar of Texas
- Advance Designation of a Custodian-Attorney - Instructions
- Assumption of Practice: A Custodian's Guide
- Electronic Designation Form (Article)
- Electronic Designation Form (Video)
- Selling a Practice
- Volunteer to Serve as a Court-Appointed Custodian-Attorney
- Ethics Helpline
- Disaster Readiness Plan
- Texas Lawyers Assistance Program (TLAP)
- Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS)
- Client Security Fund (CSF)